CTNgreen ecologic, Green Energy, technology, activism, developments, solar and wind power, sustainable ecology

SOLAR TOWNS - Freiburg Germany

by joel

I just read an article online about Freiburg, Germany and came away thinking this could be a model for how small cities and towns could manage there renewable initiatives.

First I must mention that Freiburg’s voting district is lead by Germany’s Green party and as you might expect has a local government that is very green friendly with respect to encouraging and even mandating that it citizen’s and business adopt alternative energy solutions. Freiburg likes to be known as “Solar City”. The town hall and the football stadium, swimming pools and the train station boast mirrors to create solar power. New houses have to consume a third less energy than German law requires.Now i know it seems that our local governments are not going to pursue this aggressive approach to mandating renewables but I think that Freiburgs model would be a good place to start.

As I look forward to a changing energy policy in our federal government I am hoping local governments can adopt there own grass roots approach’s to tackle there energy needs with renewables.

1. City and town buildings should be powered by solar.
  2. Where ever possible to mandate that all publicly owned vehicles with exception of first responders be hybrids or even electric cars.
  3. If the geography would allow to consider wind turbines and or wind farms
  4. Utilizing landfill’s for either capturing methane or erecting a solar farm

I understand our country is in a recession and local cities and towns are feeling the pinch but if our President is truly committed to make renewables a major part of his administrations agenda it has to start at the local level and what better time than now.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Filed in Greeniest |

6 Responses to “SOLAR TOWNS - Freiburg Germany”

1. 1tessaon 24 May 2009 at 9:35 am

Great post - can you report on Solar developments in the USA?

2. 2Joelon 25 May 2009 at 2:13 pm

Of course, can you tell me a little about yourself.

Joel

3. 3Danon 26 May 2009 at 10:45 am

I couldn’t agree more. If this country wants to get serious about promoting alternative energy solutions (important for environmental and geopolitical reasons) then the first step is to lead by example and solarizing public buildings. And if the federal gov’t won’t take that lead perhaps they will be encouraged to do so by successes on local levels.

Great post.

4. 4Dimanaon 26 May 2009 at 1:27 pm

Great article! I couln’t agree more with that little town in Germany! My husband and I are in the process of buying our 1st home and I am already thinking how to make solar pannels on our roof happen..

5. 5DINOon 18 Nov 2009 at 5:31 pm

In my country Malaysia we just started to get the idea, trying to set up in new development area, township. I need more knowledge on the technology. I am visiting Germany from 20 nov-29 nov 2009, i will be in Furth, near Nuremberg. If somebody from the solar industry could help me, i am willing to visit the town. tq. mobile phone: 6012-6564704. Dr.Baharudin Othman

6. 6Chesteron 05 Jan 2015 at 10:17 pm

Yesterday i spent 300 $ for platinium roulette system , i hope that
    i will earn my first money online

Comments RSS